Remember that an interview is a conversation and an opportunity for you to evaluate if the company aligns with your goals for your career. This ties back to your values and interests from the Explore phase of the job search journey. Be prepared with three to five questions of your own to ask during the interview.
- Please describe the duties of the job for me.
- What kinds of assignments might I expect in the first six months on the job?
- Is there a lot of team/project work?
- Will I have the opportunity to work on special projects?
- Where does this position fit into the organizational structure?
- How much travel, if any, is involved in this position?
- What are your major concerns that need to be immediately addressed in this job?
- What goals or objectives need to be achieved in the next six months? Next year?
- What challenges might I encounter if I take on this position?
- What are the top qualities you are looking for in the candidate who fills this position?
- Does your company encourage further education?
- How do you feel about creativity and individuality?
- Is your company environmentally conscious? In what ways?
- What characteristics do the achievers in this company seem to share?
- What are the company’s strengths and weaknesses compared to its competition?
- What do you like best about your job/company?
- In what ways is a career with your company better than one with your competitors?
- Does your company offer either single or dual career-track programs?
- How does the company promote personal and professional growth?
- What is the usual promotional time frame?
- What products (or services) are in the development stage now?
- Do you have plans for expansion?
- What are your growth projections for next year?
- Could you explain the organizational structure to me?
- What is the organization’s plan for the next five years, and how does this department or
division fit in?
- How often are performance reviews given?
- What is the largest single problem facing your staff (department) now?
- Has the person holding this position been promoted?
- Has there been much turnover in this job area?
- What are the department’s goals, and how do they fit into the company’s mission?
- What is the next course of action? When should I expect to hear from you or should I